Tuesday, August 7, 2012
9:18 AM | Posted by Leslie Block | | Edit Post
When it comes to relieving stress, more giggles and guffaws are just what the doctor ordered. Here's why.By Mayo Clinic staffCredit: Mayo Clinic
Whether you're guiltily guffawing at an episode of "South Park" or quietly giggling at the latest New Yorker cartoon, laughing does you good. Laughter is a great form of stress relief, and that's no joke.
Stress relief from laughterA good sense of humor can't cure all ailments, but data are mounting about the positive things laughter can do.
A good laugh has great short-term effects. When you start to laugh, it doesn't just lighten your load mentally, it actually induces physical changes in your body. Laughter can:
- Stimulate many organs. Laughter enhances your intake of oxygen-rich air, stimulates your heart, lungs and muscles, and increases the endorphins that are released by your brain.
- Activate and relieve your stress response. A rollicking laugh fires up and then cools down your stress response and increases your heart rate and blood pressure. The result? A good, relaxed feeling.
- Soothe tension. Laughter can also stimulate circulation and aid muscle relaxation, both of which help reduce some of the physical symptoms of stress.
Laughter isn't just a quick pick-me-up, though. It's also good for you over the long haul. Laughter may:
- Improve your immune system. Negative thoughts manifest into chemical reactions that can impact your body by bringing more stress into your system and decreasing your immunity. In contrast, positive thoughts actually release neuropeptides that help fight stress and potentially more-serious illnesses.
- Relieve pain. Laughter may ease pain by causing the body to produce its own natural painkillers. Laughter may also break the pain-spasm cycle common to some muscle disorders.
- Increase personal satisfaction. Laughter can also make it easier to cope with difficult situations. It also helps you connect with other people.
Labels: #gratitude, #mommiesnetwork, #MommyUP, awareness, baby blues, be happy, depressed, foothills of NC, funny, health and wellness, Healthy, helping other moms, humorous, inspirational, stressed
- ▼ August (7)
- ► 2011 (94)
- ► 2010 (37)
TMN Blog Roll
#mommiesnetwork CentralFoothillsMommies the Mommies Network mom groups in NC mommy groups in nc blogging moms support for moms local moms Catawba county Burke county Caldwell county Facebook moms Alexander county moms groups in nc Facebook moms family frugal mom TMN family fun frugal parenting charitable events coupons Hickory NC Twitter mommy playdates Kids crafts budget living baby blues family fun budget green crafting safe kids Fundraising Support Us crafting for children family crafts fun support texting and driving Breast self exams Donations Earth day birthday bash breast cancer halloween safety tips playdates recycle safety tips savings Auctions Baby items Pediatric cancer donations postpartum depression Ebay Elf on the Shelf Snow TMN Annual Auction bake sale best bubble recipe books 4 kids driving safety tips endorse us macaroni kids moms nights out rearfacing carseats silicon molds twibbon yard sale